Lucknow Metro update
The dream of Lucknow to have a metro rail has inched a bit closer towards reality. The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC), after conducting an initial feasibility study, has sought the state government approval for preparing a detailed project report (DPR) on the proposed project. LDA vice-chairman, Mukesh Meshram said that they had received a letter from DMRC on preparing a DPR, which would be completed in a span of nine months.The DMRC, in fact, would be the consultant for the proposed project, for which they would be given a fee of Rs four crore. The proposed metro rail in Lucknow would be constructed in two corridors — North-South and East-West. The North-South corridor would begin from Amausi airport and would pass through Krishnanagar, Alambagh, Charbagh, Hussainganj, Vidhan Sabha, Hazratganj, Parivartan chowk, Lucknow university, IT crossing, Mahanagar before ending at Munshi Pulia in Indiranagar. The total stretch would be of 27 Kms.Likewise, the east-west corridor, stretching over a distance of 14 Kms, would begin in Gomtinagar and would pass through Wazir Hasan road, Jawahar Bhawan, Shakti Bhawan, Hazratganj (via Ashok marg), Aminabad before merging at Sector 13 of Rajajipuram. Meshram said that the consultants would be studying the project to assess as to where the train would run under ground and where it would move on an elevated section.Though the likely cost of the project is yet to be decided, LDA officials said that the authority would bear 60 per cent of the total cost while the rest 40 per cent would be given by the ministry of urban development, Government of India. Meshram said that they hoped to get funds for the project under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM). Plans are also afoot to rope in private companies on a publicprivate-partnership (PPP) basis. A final decision, however, is yet to be taken.
Labels: Lucknow Metro DMRC